Wednesday 10 October 2012

Saving Oliver

We have an amazing Florist in work who grows and designs the most beautiful arrangements. However, I guess it doesn't always go according to plan and when a plant decides it has given up on life, sometimes they leave them to be picked up by the staff.

Yesterday morning I came across a bunch of potted 'leaves' which looked the worse for wear. As usual, I didn't pay much attention to them. Later in the afternoon,  I noticed there were only a few remaining rejects and a little voice in my head said 'save one'!!

Never having dealt with plants before, not knowing what type of flower it was, and having no clue how to care it, I'd say the flowers saw me coming and said I'd prayer I'd leave them alone to wilt in front of the uniform room. 

Alas! I decided to take the second last one  He has been named Oliver (as in the orphan Oliver) and has already taken up his place at home on a table by the window in the kitchen. Kerry, a friend from work, was feeling the love too for the other orphan plant (Annie) and decided to take it home too!! (Yes, our day was a productive one!)

OLIVER THE ORCHID 










Poor Olly doesn't look too healthy but I'm going to try to bring him back to life. I might even get him a friend!

If anyone out there has tips on raising Orchids, please leave me a message here!!

(Yes, I do realize I am going a little crazy...who isn't?!  Only if I start talking to the plant should the straight jackets come out)

Goodnight! 

8 comments:

  1. I hope you get some comments on how to help Oliver. I have to say the leaves look healthy, perhaps he just needs a little TLC. I've never grown an orchid. I hope he'll bloom for you at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far nothing!!! But I have done a bit of reading..it's going to be hard, but I'm hopeful :-)

      Delete
  2. Jacqueline Power10 October 2012 at 23:55

    hahahaha love this!! I dont know if our kitchen table is the place for optimum growth for Olly..but i have high hopes for a fully recovery :) !! Striaght jacket at the ready :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid I don't know much about growing orchids, so I can't help you. I hope Oliver makes it, though! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. The photos on your blog header are gorgeous!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! Thank you for shopping by mine! :) Orchid Olly is doing OK!!!

      Delete
  4. Good luck - I need as much help as you do, because I keep killing min,elol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh! I hope you get on a better streak ;-) Good luck!!!

      Delete

Followers